Everyone loves a garage; whether you park in your garage to protect your car and conveniently access your home, or you use it to safely store extra belongings and keep your home’s interior clean and clutter-free, there are many reasons to appreciate your garage. However, a garage door can also be a vulnerable entry point to your home, so it’s important to keep your garage secure. CPI’s Smart Garage Door Opener offers a solution to these vulnerabilities by providing secure, automated garage door control. In other words, investing in a smart garage door opener is a simple way to enhance the security of your garage.
Below, learn more about:
- Best practices for using a smart garage door opener
- Buying considerations for smart garage door controllers
- Technical specs for CPI’s smart garage door opener
Top Tips for Securing Your Garage With a Smart Garage Door Opener
Before getting into the technical details of selecting the right garage door controller, consider the best practices for using smart garage door openers. Here are some of our top tips to keep in mind for garage safety and security.
- Rely on a professional for smart security system installation. Once you select a smart garage door opener, find a security professional to handle installation for you. This will help to avoid technical issues and ensure proper functionality.
- Keep your garage door closed. Always ensure that your garage door is closed and secure when it’s not in use, you leave the house, or go to bed at night. Not only will this keep your valuable items inside your garage secure, but it also helps prevent would-be criminals from spotting what you store in your garage. In other words, don’t invite a burglar in by showing them what you have to offer. Additionally, if your garage is connected to your house, keeping the door closed provides an extra layer of security against home intrusion.
- Set up garage door alerts. Most smart home and home security apps allow you to set up alerts so that you can be notified when the garage door opens and closes and keep track of who is coming and going. If you forget to close your garage door, your security app will send a notification, and you can close it remotely from the app.
- Regularly test the garage door’s safety features. This one is important whether you have a smart garage door opener or not – always make sure the garage door’s safety features, such as automatic reversing and infrared sensors, are working properly.
Choosing a Smart Garage Door Opener
Ready to start researching smart garage door controls? Unsure whether you need a smart garage door opener with a camera, a smart garage door opener compatible with Alexa or Nest, or something else entirely? Here are some buying considerations to keep in mind when shopping for a smart garage door opener, as well as technical specs for CPI’s smart garage door opener.
- Compatibility: First, consider whether the smart garage door opener is compatible with your existing garage door. CPI’s Smart Garage Door is compatible with most garage doors, but it’s always best to double check compatibility before making a purchase. Our security experts can help to ensure it will work with your existing door. Secondly, make sure the garage door opener will work with your other smart home devices. At CPI, we integrate your garage door opener with the rest of your smart home security system, including Siri and Alexa products.
- Installation: Some smart garage door openers require professional installation, while others can be installed by the homeowner. CPI’s security experts will take care of installation for you, giving you one less thing to worry about.
- Security Features: When it comes to security, look for features such as automatic closing, alerts, and remote access to open and close your garage. Additionally, consider the security features of the whole home security system. For example, CPI’s home security system features advanced encryption and authentication protocols to ensure that your home is protected to the fullest extent.
- Choose a reputable brand: When it comes to smart home devices, it’s nearly always better to go with a trusted and reputable brand. CPI Security is a well-known name in the home security industry and has been providing security solutions since 1991. Our garage door opener uses MyQ technology, a long-standing provider of garage door safety and security.
CPI’s Smart Garage Door Opener provides a secure and convenient solution for remote garage door control. By following the garage door security best practices outlined here and thoughtfully selecting the right smart garage door controller, you can ensure that your garage door opener is installed and used properly, providing you with peace of mind and added security for your home.
To learn more about CPI’s security offerings or get a free quote for installing and monitoring a smart garage door opener, get in touch today.